Here at SWE we love encouraging all kinds of kids to discover engineering! Here are our favorite ways to reach out.
Engineering Expo for Kids
Every Spring, SWE hosts a big free Engineering Expo for kids in grades K-8. It’s only one day, but everyone is invited to come visit the booths and try some new activities!
Science at home
We love to post about hands-on activities on our blog that show kids how fun science and engineering can be. Check out posts tagged experiments to make your own balloons, volcanoes, magnetic field detectors and cross-linked polymers.
Communication tips for parents
SWE research has shown that the messages kids get about engineering have just as much to do with their futures as the toys they get. Kids raised in an environment where science and math are a normal part of life are much more likely to become engineers than kids who are taught that math is “weird” and engineers are “born a certain way”. Check out our posts 6 Myths to Dispel When Encouraging Young Engineers.
Other Sites to Check Out
- International Society of Women Engineers (SWE) Resources, research, advocacy and ideas from the driving force that establishes engineering as a highly desirable career aspiration for women.
- EngineerYourLife.org A guide to engineering for high school girls.
- EngineerGirl.org Bright energetic site by the Nastional Academy of Engineering that brings attention to the exciting opportunities that engineering represents for girls and women.
- DiscoverEngineering Helping to unite, mobilize, and support the engineering and technology volunteer communities.
- Indestructables A big site with instructions on how to make all kinds of cool stuff, from food to technology to everyday stuff for around the house.
- STEM 2020 Response to the president’s call to generate large-scale, innovative solutions to our STEM education challenge, with a focus on increasing access to STEM careers for girls, underrepresented minorities, and low-income children.
- Canteen Girl Inspire girls to envision themselves in STEM careers through gaming and online activities.
- MakeICT is a non-profit Wichita group that encourages innovation and learning through creativity. Lots of their events are open to all ages and we are proud that a number of SWE members are involved.
- Fields of Engineering Overview provides information about the major fields and subfields of Engineering as well as the type of work that Engineers in these fields get to perform.